Census statistics show that there are nearly 55,000 people with significant sight loss living in Ireland.
• The vast majority of people using NCBI services have some useful vision.
• Most people experiencing sight loss are over the age of 65.
Our Cost of Sight Loss report found that:
• 75% to 80% of blindness is preventable.
• As the Irish population ages, the impact of vision loss will grow substantially in the future.
• Vision impairment and blindness is expected to cost more than €.2.5billion by 2020.
• Healthcare costs for the main eye diseases are €65.1 million and for blindness €3.7million per year.
• The financial cost to the departments of health, social protection and finance was €205 million in 2010.
For more information please call us on 01 8307033 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.