Here you will find information on what Government benefits and allowances you may be entitled to.
- Government Entitlements for Adults with Sight Loss
If you have a vision impairment, you may be entitled to a companion free travel pass, a disabled person’s parking card and access to the free directory enquiry service. If you have a job or are a guide dog user, you may also eligible to get tax credits.
- Companion free travel pass
- Disabled person’s parking card
- Free directory enquiry service Tel: 1800 574 574. This service will provide you with the telephone number you request from a telephone operator free of charge. However, if you request to be connected then you will be charged. When you apply, you will receive a PIN and a letter explaining how to use this service.
You might also be eligible to apply for:
- Blind person’s pension
- Blind person’s tax credits
- Guide dog allowance
- VAT refund on aids and appliances
2. Government Entitlements for Children with Sight Loss
Your child may be entitled to a:
He or she can also apply for:
If your child is 16 years old or over, he or she may qualify for:
3. Confirming that you have a vision impairment
Your eye specialist or your local optometrist should complete an NCBI form or provide you with a letter confirming that your vision is below a certain level. This form or letter is then submitted with an application for a Government entitlement. If you would like to use NCBI’s form, we can post it to you to bring to your next appointment with your eye specialist or optometrist or we can post a form directly to them. If you are not already seeing an eye specialist ask your family doctor to refer you.
More information: Your local NCBI support worker will be happy to assist you in making an application for entitlements you may qualify for or assisting you with confirming your vision impairment.