Monday 17th May 2021, NCBI (National Council for the Blind of Ireland) is delighted to celebrate the reopening of NCBI shops nationwide as well as the further expansion of its retail chain. The chain now exceeds 130 shops and includes the acquisition of the six Age Action shops countrywide, the continuation of our pop up project Re:Newed for NCBI opening on Henry Street, Dublin and new stores in Killarney, Co. Kerry and Ashbourne, Co. Meath.
The closure of stores during lockdown provided an opportunity to gain a greater understanding of our customers and how charity retailing is viewed. The survey results of 1,000 adults were both illuminating and helpful in enabling us to challenge the narrative around charity shopping.
- Why shop in charity shops? 76% want to support the charity, 64% want to find bargains, 36% want to buy in a sustainable and environmentally friendly way. Our charity shops help NCBI to raise vital funds for people living with sight loss in Ireland.
- 56% said they would be concerned about hygiene and germs because of Covid19. All our clothes are steam cleaned and due to Covid 19, we now quarantine all donations. We also have a contactless donations area in all shops.
- 23% prefer to buy new clothes – but the impact on the environment is significant. Producing one new t-shirt requires approximately 2,700 litres of water and one new pair of denim jeans requires approximately 7,000 – 10,000 litres.
- 8% said charity shops don’t stock high-end brands. Well, gladly, that leaves 92% knowing where the hidden gems are and that’s in our 130+ shops throughout the country.
Beverley Scallan, Head of Retail said “We are excited at reopening and expanding the NCBI chain with now over 130 shops countrywide. We hope the new NCBI shops will become a cornerstone of their communities similar to our other shops. We have transformed the interior of many of our stores using recyclable materials and powerful messaging to reinforce to customers the importance of shopping sustainably while still helping to raise funds for NCBI. The acquisition of the Age Action stores and opening of new shops in different locations enables us to reach new customers and challenge their perceptions of charity retailing. Think Global, Act Local.”
NCBI urges customers to take a fresh look at charity retailing and be pleasantly surprised with the quality stock and customer service on hand. All donations of clothing, furniture and homeware gratefully received.
Contact Katie Drea Communications Executive [email protected] or 0876612287