This is a call for donations of old or disused laptops or other hardware that can be repurposed to ensure all children and adults who are blind or vision impaired has access to technology they need to help them live more independently and stay connected with family and friends.
NCBI Labs will wipe clean the old laptops or hardware and reconfigure them for our service users. These laptops can then be bought by our service users for a nominal fee of €50 as well as guaranteed ongoing technology support to them from NCBI Labs. The reconditioned laptops will have a working camera and all key accessibility features on mainstream software activated for ease of use.
In general, NCBI will accept most laptops, monitors, webcams and tablet devices that are younger than seven years including the following:
- A Laptop PC that is running Windows 7 or newer
- A Mac Laptop that was released in 2012 or later
- iPad and tablets that were released in 2012 or later
- Keyboards and Mice
- Monitors larger than 17 inches
- An iPhone 6 or later
- An Android phone running Android 5 or later
Things to consider when donating equipment:
- The device must power on and have the accessories included such as chargers, software keys etc
- Company devices or a device with encryption must be disabled
- The device should have a working webcam & microphone
- The screen should not be damaged and be working
If you or your friends or company has recently upgraded your equipment and you’d like to donate the old one simply send an email to [email protected] or call our Infoline 1850 33 43 53.